Are you in need of an oral cancer screening? Our office offers oral cancer screening services and accepts Medicaid. Oral cancer can develop in various areas of the mouth and can be life-threatening if not detected and treated early. Routine screenings by a professional, as well as self-examinations, are critical in early detection.
Symptoms of Oral Cancer
Although these symptoms may be caused by other, less serious problems, it is very important to visit our office to rule out the possibility of oral cancer. The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening, or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
Oral cancer is often treated with surgery alone or radiation alone to treat the condition in its earliest stages. In more advanced cases, a combination of surgery and radiation is the most common treatment. In the late stages of oral cancer, a combination of radiation with chemotherapy with or without surgery is usually used.
- The best way to prevent oral cancer is to avoid all tobacco products and drink alcohol only in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking, sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
- During your next dental appointment, ask us to perform an oral exam. Early detection of oral cancer can improve the chances of successful treatment.
Request an appointment with our office today for an oral exam and screening to ensure your oral health and detect any potential issues early on. We accept Medicaid and are here to help you maintain a healthy smile.